Facial Rejuvenation: Surgical Brow Lift and Mid-face Lift
- Are you fed up with facial skin sagging and a furrowed brows that make you look older?
- Are you worried about pronounced creases or lines across the forehead and on the bridge of the nose?
- Do you want an elevated brow and to smooth out forehead wrinkles?
- Do you wish to look younger and refreshed, while achieving long-lasting results?
If your concerns are listed above, you might be the right candidate for a brow lift or forehead lift. Interestingly, the upper mid-face is the first area of the face to show signs of aging.
What is a Brow Lift?
Brow lifts, also known as a forehead lift, are performed to correct sagging or furrowed brows. The brow lift procedure raises the forehead skin, lifts droopy brows, and delivers a more youthful appearance. The forehead wrinkles are reduced or sometimes eliminated by altering the skin and muscle tissue surrounding the brow and forehead.
Some Key Points of the Brow Lift or Eyebrow Rejuvenation Procedure:
- This surgery helps reposition your brows and achieve a more youthful look.
- There are various surgical techniques are used to perform brow lift surgery. The least invasive brow lift is the endoscopic brow lift. If only temporal skin (by the sides of your head or temples) needs to be lifted, you may need a temporal lift. If your entire brow and forehead need to be lifted, you may need an incision from the top of one ear, across the top of your head, to the top of your other ear or a coronal incision.
- Depending on your preference, incisions can be placed at or behind the hairline.
- This procedure is performed to remove excess skin to, ultimately, smoothen the forehead and lift sagging brows.
- Fine sutures are placed and most patients can return home the same day.
- Two procedures that are frequently combined with a brow lift are the mid-face lift and traditional facelift. These combinations result in a refreshed facial appearance.
- This procedure significantly improves signs of aging, such as forehead and “crow’s feet” wrinkles, forehead furrowing, or drooping brows.
What is a mid-face lift? What is a mid-face lift with a brow lift? What is a blepharoplasty?
The mid-face refers to the area below the eyes and above the mouth. A mid-face lift is performed to lift the cheeks and rejuvenate the face by addressing lines and wrinkles around the mouth and the hollows of the lower eye. Often, men and women who have sagging cheeks and deep nasolabial folds choose a mid-face lift. The mid-face lift sometimes requires restoration of volume in the cheeks as well. The restoration can be accomplished with fat grafting, commercial fillers, such as Juvederm, Radiesse, and Voluma. Another alternative are FDA-approved cheek implants which can be placed during a facelift.
Key Points of a Mid-face Lift:
- This procedure transforms the facial shape.
- The right candidate for mid-face lift is younger than the traditional face/neck lift procedure. It is performed to correct the first signs of aging, characterized by the downward displacement of cheek fat.
- It is an excellent procedure when performed on the right candidate.
- An endoscopic approach can provide remarkable results without large incisions.
- Usually, recovery time is about 1-2 weeks.
- The approach is through a lower lid incision or endoscopically.
- This procedure is more focused and less invasive than a standard facelift or deep plane facelift.
- A mid-face lift is also called a vertical facelift or cheek lift, which lifts the corners of the mouth and softens smile lines to give a rested facial appearance.
- It is often combined with other procedures like a brow lift, endoscopic forehead lift, eyebrow rejuvenation, or blepharoplasty to obtain even more significant results.
Mid-face lift with a brow lifting or blepharoplasty:
Mid-face lift surgery is sometimes combined with other plastic surgery procedures to provide better and more noticeable results. Thus, an in-person consultation is essential for you to discuss your goals with Dr. Katzen and make a proper surgical plan. Some combined procedures include a brow lift or blepharoplasty, to address wrinkles or sagging skin in the forehead and eyelid areas.
Mid-face lift with a brow lift: When and Why?
In some cases, a facelift alone doesn’t address all of a patient’s concerns. Sometimes, a brow lift is needed as well to address excess skin and wrinkles in the forehead area. A dual procedure allows for complete facial rejuvenation. Mid-face lift surgery combined with a brow lift helps you achieve a youthful facial profile, allowing you to look more relaxed.
Midface Lift with blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery): When & Why?
A mid-face lift combined with blepharoplasty creates more balance between the upper and lower face, giving a more natural result. Blepharoplasty complements the mid-face lift by removing drooping, excess skin upper eyelid skin. This combined procedure restores the youthful look to the face and eyes. Therefore, combining both procedures may help you achieve your desired look.
Blepharoplasty may also correct your peripheral vision, especially the upper and outer visual fields. With the excess, sagging skin removed, your eyes should open wider and not be covered by hanging, upper eyelid skin.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Katzen, you and he will work closely to understand your concerns and make a surgical plan. Depending on your goals and problem areas, Dr. Katzen may suggest a brow lift and/or blepharoplasty along with your facelift.
What is the recovery?
Healing and recovery may vary from patient to patient. However, some things to expect are:
- Usually, a mid-face lift recovery takes 7-10 days. Ice packs ease swelling and help with healing. Pain medications assist with pain relief after the surgery.
- After a brow lift, your head should be elevated for one week or more, when sleeping. This position helps minimize swelling and bruising. One should avoid strenuous activities during the healing period.
- Swelling and bruising may persist for up to 2 weeks. Cold compress will help minimize swelling and bruising. If having a blepharoplasty, you should use prescribed eye drops or ointments as directed. Avoid heavy lifting, straining, and swimming for 2-3 weeks after blepharoplasty/eyelid surgery.
To determine the best procedure to address your facial concerns, schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. J. Timothy Katzen. Some patients benefit from a mid-face lift alone, while others can benefit from a dual procedure involving the brow/forehead or eyes.
For more information, please call Dr. Katzen's office at 310-859-7770. For your convenience, Dr. Katzen has three offices: Beverly Hills, CA, Las Vegas, NV, and Dubai, UAE. Also, for your convenience, Dr. Katzen offers VIRTUAL consultations! CONFIDENTIAL VIRTUAL CONSULTATIONS can be scheduled for FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, or Zoom. Alternatively, physical consultations can also be arranged. What is holding you back? Contact Dr. Katzen TODAY to achieve the face of your dreams.