Why Do You Wear A Compression Garment After A Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck surgery consistently remains at the top of the list of most in-demand cosmetic surgeries in Beverly Hills. This is not surprising, as the tummy tuck can help both men and women address a long list of concerns and achieve a dramatic transformation. After weight loss, patients often benefit from the skin and fat removal aspect of A tummy tuck. At the same time, many women utilize the tummy tuck as a solution for restoring their pre-pregnancy figures. While the outcome of a tummy tuck can undoubtedly be stunning, patients must understand what to expect during the recovery period and adhere to the postoperative guidelines closely. One of the most critical aspects of the tummy tuck recovery is the use of a compression garment.
Award-winning board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Timothy Katzen and the stellar team at J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Beverly Hills are committed to helping patients achieve their ideal cosmetic results and enjoy a safe, healthy, and efficient recovery after a tummy tuck by providing the most advanced surgical techniques and tools available as well as detailed postoperative instructions. Learn more about what you can expect during tummy tuck recovery here, including why a compression garment is essential for proper healing and a gorgeous outcome.
How does a tummy tuck work?
A tummy tuck is an exciting body contouring procedure that involves skin removal, muscle tightening, and other advanced techniques to address a wide variety of cosmetic and functional concerns, and, ultimately, sculpt a smooth, taut, beautiful midsection. A tummy tuck is performed under general anesthesia with a board-certified anesthesiologist. The tummy tuck usually takes about 2 – 3 hours to complete. Dr. Katzen will place an incision just above the pubic area on the lower abdomen. The length of the incision will depend on how much excess skin needs to be removed. For patients with diastasis recti, or separated abdominal muscles, Dr. Katzen can reposition the abdominal fascia and reinforce the muscles. Liposuction is also commonly performed during tummy tuck surgery to remove stubborn deposits of fat. Once the loose, sagging skin has been excised, the remaining abdominal skin is pulled tightly and the incision is closed with many layers of absorbable sutures for a sleek, firm new contour.
How long is the tummy tuck recovery time?
Patients should have realistic expectations for their tummy tuck recovery period and plan to make the experience as smooth, comfortable, and convenient as possible. Because a tummy tuck is an extensive procedure, most patients need to take about 2 – 3 weeks off work for their recovery. While you should begin feeling much more like yourself after the first 1 – 2 weeks, it is essential to understand that your body is still healing from major surgery. Strenuous physical activity, including exercise, may be off-limits for up to six weeks or longer, though light walking is encouraged. Patients should not stand fully upright in order to maintain the integrity of their incisions. Brief, light walks help to increase circulation and avoid complications, such as blood clots or DVTs.
Most tummy tuck patients are considered fully recovered after about six weeks. However, the final results will continue to improve over the next several weeks and months as the residual swelling resolves, the tissues settle, and the scars begin to fade. Some of the most beneficial things patients can do to ensure a successful and efficient tummy tuck recovery include:
- Follow all of Dr. Katzen's instructions
- Take medications as prescribed
- Attend follow-up appointments
- Eat healthy and stay hydrated
- Do not rush your recovery
- Wear your compression garment as instructed
What does a compression garment do after tummy tuck?
Without a doubt, the use of a compression garment after tummy tuck surgery is essential for proper, speedy healing and a cosmetically pleasing result. Some of the most compelling reasons for wearing a compression garment or binder after tummy tuck include:
- Reduce swelling: The constant, even compression applied by a compression garment – sometimes referred to as an abdominal binder – reduces postoperative swelling and accelerates visible results.
- Prevent seromas and hematomas: By minimizing swelling and decreasing the incidence of pockets beneath the tissue, compression garments dramatically reduce the risk for developing collections of serious fluid (seromas) and blood collections (hematomas)
- Protect incisions: Additionally, patients can reduce their risk for wound separation by wearing a compression garment. Wearing a compression garment limits the possibility of pulling, stretching, and opening the incision.
- Enhance comfort: Many patients feel that snug compression garment feels more secure and comfortable following surgery.
- Smoother outcome: Wearing a compression garment is also crucial for achieving a smoother, more even outcome and minimizing the possibility of bumps, lumps, dimples, keloid scarring, or other imperfections. Keep in mind that many medical compression garments are made specifically with the seams on the outside to avoid permanent skin indentations. Dr. Katzen and his knowledgeable team will help you understand and select the best tummy tuck compression garment for you.
How long do you wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
Patients should plan to wear their compression garment for a minimum of 4 – 6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery to ensure the best possible results. For the first few weeks, compression garments should be worn at all times – day and night – except when showering. Once Dr. Katzen assesses your progress at a postoperative follow-up appointment, you may be able to reduce the number of hours you wear the compression garment each day. However, many patients choose to continue wearing the compression garment as much as possible for comfort and peace of mind.
Say goodbye to loose skin and stubborn fat with a life-changing tummy tuck in Beverly Hills, CA
Despite the recovery period and the need for compression garments, the vast majority of tummy tuck patients consider the surgery to be one of the best things they have ever done in their life! Whether you are ready to take the final step in your weight loss transformation, get your pre-baby body back, or fight the effects of aging, a tummy tuck surgery at J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Beverly Hills can help.
Call TODAY to schedule a consultation for a tummy tuck. For your convenience, Dr. Katzen has offices in Beverly Hills, CA, Las Vegas, NV, and Dubai. Physical or virtual consultations can be arranged. Virtual consultation options include FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, and WhatsApp. Call TODAY at (310) 859 - 7770 to schedule your FREE consultation to achieve the tummy of your dreams.