what is PRP Therapy?
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Timothy Katzen is proud to perform platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy at his Beverly Hills, CA practice to help replenish your appearance. PRP therapy is one of the most sought-after cosmetic procedures in the industry because of its natural origins and striking results. This nonsurgical treatment utilizes your own plasma to stimulate the production of collagen for the skin, minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. When blended with a powerful solution of growth factors and bioactive proteins, it can also be used to stimulate hair growth in patients with thinning hair. To learn more about PRP therapy, contact J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Beverly Hills to schedule a consultation. Our team looks forward to discussing all of the benefits of PRP and how this simple treatment can help to improve your skin and hair.
What are the benefits?
Traditional treatment routes may often be ineffective. When this happens, J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Beverly Hills encourages our Beverly Hills, CA patients to consider PRP therapy, especially with orthopedic conditions, to gain benefits like:
- Reduced inflammation at the site of injury
- Lowered pain and irritation
- Increased mobility and range of motion in the affected joint
- Non-surgical alternative to orthopedic complaints
"My experience with Dr. Timothy Katzen is wonderful. His surgical skills are top notch and he has great bedside manner. I have had 3 procedures with Dr. Katzen and happy with all three."- K.Y. / Google / Nov 05, 2019
"Dr. Katzen is amazing. His knowledge and bedside banner area impeccable. He kept me informed every step of the way. His staff is just as impressive, they are patient and responsive 24hrs a day. He is great with the bariatric patient community, he knows how to get rid of our loose skin and hide all the scars. Thank you for all your help!"- C.R. / Google / Jan 18, 2020
"My self-esteem and confidence have already improved by milestones - I normally don't write reviews but Dr. J Timothy Katzen and his team have gone above and beyond my expectations. I had gastric sleeve surgery and lost a total of 125 pounds. I kept convincing myself that I don't need plastic or reconstructive surgery. I figured I was healthy, and excess skin and fat is something I could live with. Boy was I wrong. Looking at my flabs and wrinkled skin was a bad reminder of my old obese self, the person I wanted to move on from. I had such low self-esteem when I was obese. I found Dr. J Timothy Katzen through Real Self and had no doubt he is the right surgeon for my situation. Dr. Katzen was the clear choice because of how many before and after pictures he had, the number of great reviews, the questions and answers, the videos, and his credentials, I mean I can go on forever. I felt super confident in my decision and sure enough, he delivered. Dr. Katzen did a circumferential body lift and I could not be more pleased with the results and care I received from everyone. I am forever grateful for how Dr. Katzen transformed my body. My self-esteem and confidence have already improved by milestones."- N. / RealSelf / Jul 28, 2022
"El mejor cirujano que he conocido .antes de el consultes varios para que me quitara silicone de mis glúteos,y nadie lo quiso hacer .mis respetos para Katzen ,para mi sin duda alguna .EL MEJOR!!!"- F.T. / Yelp / Mar 15, 2023
"(Translated by Google) I am happy to be a patient of Dr. to be cats. I'm an aquafill victim. After my injection in Düsseldorf in 2017, I ran into problems very quickly. For several years I regularly took medication for pain and was afraid for my health and for my life. From the first minutes of meeting Dr. Katzen on I realized that he perfectly knows all the problems related to aquafilling.Before the operation I was worried, but my doctor approached me and reassured me, I went to the operating room with a smile . Everything went well and the result is better than I could have imagined. dr Katzen was very careful with my body, it looks like I have no gel. I am thin and you could see and feel aquafilling. This gel was in the layers of the skin, but now there is nothing there. Many thanks to dr. Katzen and his entire team (Original) Ich bin glücklich, Patientin von Dr. Katzen zu sein. Ich bin ein Aquafilling-Opfer. Nach meiner Spritze 2017 in Düsseldorf habe ich sehr schnell Probleme bekommen. Mehrere Jahre lang nahm ich regelmäßig Medikamente gegen Schmerzen und hatte Angst um meine Gesundheit und um mein Leben. Von den ersten Minuten des Treffens mit Dr. Katzen an wurde mir klar, dass er alle Probleme im Zusammenhang mit Aquafilling perfekt kennt.Vor der Operation war ich besorgt, aber mein Arzt kam auf mich zu und beruhigte mich, ich ging mit einem Lächeln in den Operationssaal . Alles hat gut geklappt und das Ergebnis ist besser als ich es mir hätte vorstellen können. Dr. Katzen war sehr vorsichtig mit meinem Körper, es sieht so aus, als hätte ich kein Gel. Ich bin dünn und Aquafilling war zu sehen und zu spüren. Dieses Gel war in den Hautschichten, aber jetzt ist dort nichts mehr. Vielen Dank an Dr. Katzen und sein gesamtes Team"- ?.?. / Google / Mar 05, 2023
am i a candidate for prp therapy?
PRP therapy can be a beneficial treatment for patients with a range of skin- and hair-related concerns, such as wrinkles or thinning respectively. Women and men who want to improve the tone and texture of their complexion are typically the best candidates for platelet-rich plasma therapy for the skin. Meanwhile, those noticing early signs of hair thinning tend to be ideal candidates for PRP hair treatment. During your consultation, please inform Dr. Katzen or your aesthetician if you have any skin conditions, anemia, or blood disorders so we can decide if PRP is a safe option for you.
how does prp therapy work?
Because PRP can be used to treat concerns for both the skin and hair, there are different techniques employed to suit each use:
- For the skin: Once you are seated comfortably in one of our private treatment rooms, a small amount of blood will be taken from your arm and placed in our advanced centrifuge machine. For this treatment, we typically remove one vial of blood. After about 15 minutes, the different components of the blood will be separated and prepared for injection. We will place the platelet-rich plasma into a sterile syringe and inject it into the predetermined locations. The PRP process for the skin typically takes about five minutes, but this can vary for each patient.
- For the hair: Your PRP hair session will begin by drawing a small amount of blood and placing it in a centrifuge machine. This machine circulates the blood at high speed to separate the platelets from the remainder of the blood components. Next, a local anesthetic is used on your scalp, and the concentrated platelet-rich plasma is administered into the areas of your scalp that require treatment. Finally, microneedling is performed on the scalp to create micro-trauma and micro-channels into the skin, which activates the PRP and enables it to penetrate deep into the tissue. Your PRP hair therapy treatment plan will likely include an initial treatment and follow-up appointments scheduled about every nine months to one year.
How long is recovery after prp therapy?
Depending on whether your therapy is for the skin or the hair, your post-treatment limitations and recovery times will vary:
- For the skin: Platelet-rich plasma naturally promotes the production of collagen and elastin to create tauter, more youthful-looking skin. Because it utilizes your own blood, your risk of having an adverse effect or reaction is practically nonexistent. You should expect your face to be a bit red after PRP therapy as traces of red blood cells can make it into the plasma injection. A cold pack can be applied to the injection area to minimize discomfort and minor swelling. We recommend our patients receive treatments every 4 – 6 weeks to maintain their youthful glow.
- For the hair: With practically no limitations or restrictions, there's virtually no downtime needed following this treatment. Patients may develop some redness, minimal swelling, and mild tenderness to the treated areas, but these symptoms should only last up to 48 hours. While results will vary for each patient, your outcomes are most likely to emerge around 4 – 6 months after the first treatment and may continue to improve up to a full year following treatment. Because PRP is not a permanent solution for hair loss, it's highly recommended that you attend touch-up treatments every 12 – 18 months. It's necessary to remember that PRP does not grow new hair follicles in places where you are already bald, rather, it's used to reverse the miniaturization of hair follicles so they produce healthier, thicker, and longer hair fibers.
PRP Therapy FAQ
How long do results from PRP therapy last?
Improvements from PRP therapy can last up to eight weeks or longer for some patients. The results will vary in every patient and depend on the area being treated and the overall condition of their skin. Some of the advantages of this treatment are that it is nonsurgical and has no downtime, in addition to being less expensive than other options.
What are the risks and complications of PRP therapy?
Potential side effects for PRP therapy when done alone are very minor and include prolonged swelling and bruising. If microneedling is performed with PRP therapy, possible risks may include a skin infection, delayed healing, and pigmentation changes. That’s why you should have cosmetic treatments performed by a skilled practitioner who has studied the process like our experienced team at J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Beverly Hills.
Will PRP therapy help replenish volume?
No, it will not. PRP therapy cannot restore lost volume. While PRP injections offer great benefits to rejuvenate the skin's appearance and stimulate the production of elastin and collagen, they are not meant to boost volume. If you want to enhance certain areas of your face that have lost volume, you may add dermal fillers to your PRP treatment plan.
Is PRP therapy painful?
Getting PRP injections feels similar to a BOTOX® or dermal filler injection with the additional step of the plasma extraction. Typically, most patients feel a little pinch or pressure at the time of injection. If you are nervous about pain or discomfort, you can request local anesthesia before the injection is performed.
get healthiER SKIN AND HAIR
When you have PRP therapy, your skin or hair will appear healthier than ever before. PRP treatments for the skin and hair are just right for women and men seeking natural methods that yield stunning results. To learn more about this popular and versatile treatment, contact our Beverly Hills, CA office to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Timothy Katzen.
PRP for Hair Growth
PRP for hair growth works by injecting a patient’s blood into the scalp to encourage hair growth.Read
What is PRP Vampire Facial?
PRP vampire facial procedure is a facial rejuvenation technique that helps the skin look younger. It also minimizes the effects of ace and sun damage.Read
Am I a Good Candidate for PRP Treatment?
The platelet-rich plasma that is obtained as a result is then deposited into the body in the areas where the treatment is needed.Read